Hansen’s Department Store on the Circle in business for five years in 1958. Originally was built as a supermarket, the store was opened in 1953 as a department store. In 1958, Ross Hansen and his staff were building a storeroom at the back, giving up more space for a greater display of merchandise. A showroom also was planned at the back of the store as well as the front.
Bailey Lumber in 1924. It was originally known as Bailey Brothers Trucking Co., a partnership of William B. and Roylston F. Bailey. The Baileys were born in Ingersoll Township, Midland County. Their parents William Eli Bailey and Mary Ellen Duffey Bailey migrated from New York state as early as 1850 settling at Smith Crossing on the west side of the Tittabawassee River at a point adjacent to what is called Bailey Bridge. The trucking company began operations in 1924. with one Model T truck. In addition to the business, William devoted part of his time to farming while Roylston’s time was divided between employment at The Dow Chemical Co., classes at Michigan State College and the local trucking business. In 1955, William Bailey retired, selling his interest to Roylston Bailey, thus dissolving the partnership. Roylston and his wife Hedwig A. Bailey operated the business as individuals until 1956 when the business was incorporated and named Bailey Lumber Inc. The Baileys were still active in the business in 1958. Ted Williams was manager.
J.J. Newberry Co., 205 E. Main St., had been in business for 28 years in 1958. Affectionately called Newberrys, the store sold quality merchandise at sensible prices.
During his senior year in 1924, Gordon F. Phillips was business manager of the MI-HI, the Midland High School yearbook. To pick up some extra spending money he also sold subscriptions to the Midland Republican, which eventually became the Daily News in 1937.
Phillips, a native of Midland County, was born on a farm in Homer Township in 1906. He grew up on the farm and in 1958 he said his memories of Midland city date back to when “the other side of Carpenter Street was indeed out in the country.” Horses were the mode of transportation for his family and the six-mile trip on dirt roads into town took better than an hour each way. He recalled what a treat it was to ride on the brick pavement of Main Street.
Phillips originally planned to become a school teacher and enrolled in the County Normal School after high school graduation. The night he was to graduate from County Normal, Phillips recalled he was approached by Republican Editor Philip T. Rich and was offered a job with the newspaper. The next day he reported at his new job in the newspaper’s advertising department and ended his intentions of teaching school.
Tutored by Rich, Phillips learned the advertising business. His job included writing sports and general news, sweeping out every day and other tasks in those early days.
In 1958, Phillips was business manager of the Daily News.
The photos and captions that accompany this Throwback were included in Daily News advertisements in 1958 celebrating the 100th anniversary of the Daily News — 80 years as a weekly and 20 years as a daily.
Throwback is compiled by former Daily News managing editor, Lori Qualls. She can be contacted at loriquallsmdn@gmail.com